• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevebunny

What is the name of your state? IL

I got married with my wife in China 2 years ago. We want to divorce now. We registered our marriage in China. BTW, both of us are citizens of China.

My questions is : how can we divorce without going back to China?

Thanks a lot!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? IL

I got married with my wife in China 2 years ago. We want to divorce now. We registered our marriage in China. BTW, both of us are citizens of China.

My questions is : how can we divorce without going back to China?

Thanks a lot!
If you are legal residents of the US, you can divorce in the US. However, I don't know whether or not China would recognize a US divorce. If you plan to return to China, you need to consult your embassy/consult regarding that.

stevebunny

Yes, we are both legal residents.
Because we don't have children and we agree with all the details about divorce, I think it is not necessary to hire a lawyer to do that for us. Can you let me know how can we do that by ourselves?
Thanks!

LdiJ

Yes, we are both legal residents.
Because we don't have children and we agree with all the details about divorce, I think it is not necessary to hire a lawyer to do that for us. Can you let me know how can we do that by ourselves?
Thanks!
I would honestly recommend that you have an attorney, if you are both in agreement it shouldn't be horribly expensive.

However, if you want to explore doing it by yourselves, then I would recommend starting at the IL government website at:

www.IL.gov

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">