• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cherika

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Me... NC / Husband... TX

Hello...

I've been living in NC for one year now. I left my husband in TX. No filing of divorce or any other paperwork concerning our living apart as ever been done.

My question is... Since my husband is in Texas... And I've been living in NC for one year; does our divorce have to be filed in TX? We want a non-contested divorce but do not know where to file. Both of us are eager to get this done. We just need to know if it he can do the filing in TX or if I can file here in NC? Also... we were wanting to get this done online... OR the most simple and inexpensive way as possible... any advice on the best way to handle a "quickie divorce" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance...

Cher

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Me... NC / Husband... TX

Hello...

I've been living in NC for one year now. I left my husband in TX. No filing of divorce or any other paperwork concerning our living apart as ever been done.

My question is... Since my husband is in Texas... And I've been living in NC for one year; does our divorce have to be filed in TX? We want a non-contested divorce but do not know where to file. Both of us are eager to get this done. We just need to know if it he can do the filing in TX or if I can file here in NC? Also... we were wanting to get this done online... OR the most simple and inexpensive way as possible... any advice on the best way to handle a "quickie divorce" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance...

Cher
Online filings are often fraudulent, so I would avoid that. Divorce in NC is a bit more complicated from my observations than TX, so you should probably encourage your husband to file in TX, and fully cooperate with the process. Either of you could file in your home state at this point.

However, I am assuming that there is no property to divide or children to fight over.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NC does NOT have personal jurisdiction over hubby from what you have said so you have to file in Texas.

Cherika

Thank you much, Ohiogal.

So do I have to personally go to Texas to get this done or can the paperwork be sent to Texas from me here NC? My husband is a truck driver and doesn't get home to Texas very often to get this done and has asked me if I could get it done.

Cher

LdiJ

Thank you much, Ohiogal.

So do I have to personally go to Texas to get this done or can the paperwork be sent to Texas from me here NC? My husband is a truck driver and doesn't get home to Texas very often to get this done and has asked me if I could get it done.

Cher
If your husband would consent to NC handling the divorce, it would probably be better to file there. I would not have suggested filing in TX if I had known that he was a long haul trucker.

Either that, or get an attorney to handle it in TX.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">