• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edp76

I need to know if my husband is entitled to half of the money from a sale of a house in another country. I purchased this house in 2004 while married, in early 2006 he left me and moved in with another woman. Now he is claiming that he wants half of the house. Do I have to give it to him even thought he abandoned me and commited adultery while married?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I need to know if my husband is entitled to half of the money from a sale of a house in another country. I purchased this house in 2004 while married, in early 2006 he left me and moved in with another woman. Now he is claiming that he wants half of the house. Do I have to give it to him even thought he abandoned me and commited adultery while married?
US Law Only! When posting a question, you must include the name of your state.

LdiJ

A US court would not have jurisdiction over property located in another country. However, if the house has already been sold, and the money deposited in a US bank account, that could be a different story.

However, you erased the critically important question regarding what state you are located in, and that could make a huge difference in the answers that you might receive.

Also, where the money came from to buy the property could make a huge difference as well. If it came from premarital property, from an inheritance, or from a family gift, that makes a huge difference as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">