• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Question PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tikisurfgod

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My wife and I got married in Texas and we resided in Texas for 3-4 years after we were married. Since then we have lived in Canada and in New York. I have just recently moved to New Hampshire. The only state I've resided in for longer than a year's time is Texas. My question is this. My wife lives in Canada and I read that to get a divorce in New Hampshire you have to be a resident here for at least a year. The thing is though is my wife lives in Canada. Can I still legally start the divorce proceedings from here in a year's time even though she lives in Canada? I need to know how I can go about getting a divorce from her. Any advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My wife and I got married in Texas and we resided in Texas for 3-4 years after we were married. Since then we have lived in Canada and in New York. I have just recently moved to New Hampshire. The only state I've resided in for longer than a year's time is Texas. My question is this. My wife lives in Canada and I read that to get a divorce in New Hampshire you have to be a resident here for at least a year. The thing is though is my wife lives in Canada. Can I still legally start the divorce proceedings from here in a year's time even though she lives in Canada? I need to know how I can go about getting a divorce from her. Any advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can divorce her once you have been in New Hampshire the required amount of time. However, NH would have no jurisdiction over any marital assets located in Canada, nor jurisdiction over child custody matters regarding children residing in Canada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">