• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce question please MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

codyvic

hello, I have a couple of questions relating to a divorce. I am living in MA, seperated from my husband for approx 8mnths. He still lives in NY, in the rented home we resided together in. My question is where do I file for divorce and if I own a house that I have brought since our seperation with a friend, does he recieve any part of the house...he is not requesting this and in fact this is a very amicable divorce...we have no children at this time, and is most of the reason for our divorce :(
Any assistance would be most helpful...

Kobie

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

codyvic said:
hello, I have a couple of questions relating to a divorce. I am living in MA, seperated from my husband for approx 8mnths. He still lives in NY, in the rented home we resided together in. My question is where do I file for divorce and if I own a house that I have brought since our seperation with a friend, does he recieve any part of the house...he is not requesting this and in fact this is a very amicable divorce...we have no children at this time, and is most of the reason for our divorce :(
Any assistance would be most helpful...

Kobie
My response:

Well, it's a good thing you moved to MA. You see, in New York, you would have needed to have been separated for 1 year to file. In MA, there is no separation requirement, and you've satisfied your residency requirement for MA. So, since he's still a resident of New York, he cannot file. But, since you're in MA, you can file there. The MA court has no jurisdiction, however, over property issues that may remain in New York. But, hubby cannot do anything about your new home in MA because that was acquired after your separation.

So, go ahead and file in MA. If he wants to fight about anything, he'll have to do it on YOUR turf.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">