• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

funmi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Texas. My child's father and I are interested in getting married. The problem is that when we met 2 years ago I didn't know he was legally married but separated. I took him to meet his ex to sign the papers in June and she claims that she has to take a class before it is finalized. I don't believe her since I've researched it online and everything. Its been almost 6 months. Can someone please tell me the procedures for a divorce? The things I've found online say 60days, not 6 months. They are not fighting over anything so what's the problem?:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Texas. My child's father and I are interested in getting married. The problem is that when we met 2 years ago I didn't know he was legally married but separated. I took him to meet his ex to sign the papers in June and she claims that she has to take a class before it is finalized. I don't believe her since I've researched it online and everything. Its been almost 6 months. Can someone please tell me the procedures for a divorce? The things I've found online say 60days, not 6 months. They are not fighting over anything so what's the problem?:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What did HE say when you asked him? Has HE looked into it? If not, why not?

funmi

He said that she told him that she filed the papers and that she had to take a class. I told him that she is just telling him that and that I didn't think she filed them. There is a rumer going around that she is getting married in December which I think is a hoax just to get a rise from his family. She cannot legally marry this other guy unless she is legally divorced obviously but she keeps telling him it's not going to happen overnight but it is still going on 6 months and I'm getting tired at this point.

funmi

Oh, he has not looked into it because he says she told him she had to take the class first. Online it says the class is 10 hours and has to be taken over a 48 hour time frame.

mistoffolees

Oh, he has not looked into it because he says she told him she had to take the class first. Online it says the class is 10 hours and has to be taken over a 48 hour time frame.
Do you want to marry someone who isn't mature enough to figure out if he's divorced or not?

It's really up to him. He can call the court house to see if the divorce is finalized and if it isn't, he needs to take the appropriate steps to do so.

Proserpina

Do you want to marry someone who isn't mature enough to figure out if he's divorced or not?

It's really up to him. He can call the court house to see if the divorce is finalized and if it isn't, he needs to take the appropriate steps to do so.
Cosign.

Seriously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">