• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce/remarry before final divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fgoldenlee

state of california......my husband and I are currently going through a divorce. we have temporary spousal support and child custody orders. he remarried last month. can he remarry before the divorce is final?

K

Kelly143

Was it a legal ceremony? Or was it a "let's have a ceremony to show our committment to each other"? Any marriage would not be legal until the divorce is final. It it was "legal", you can file charges and have him arrested for polygamy... I think.

F

fgoldenlee

They had a ceremony with parents and minister. They applied for a marriage license but I don't know if it has been filed at the county courthouse.

G

Grandma B

He cannot marry anyone, anywhere until the divorce is granted (final dissolution) and the waiting period for remarriage in your state has been satisfied.

If he has indeed remarried, he is a bigamist, and can be prosecuted as such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">