• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce request 1 yr AFTER Divorce granted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KittenKat

I live in Virginia and was separated from my ex husband for 2 years. I filed for divorce with one attorney but my ex would never respond. I switched attorney's and the new one filed the ppw, posted an ad in the local paper, and after a few months my divorce was granted in Jan 09. Yesterday, I received divorce papers in the mail from my ex-husband requesting a divorce on the grounds of forced desertion or 1 yr separation but also asking that I not be allowed to sell my house (mine for 3 years before our 4 year marriage of which 2 we were separated), a restraint injuction, denial of spousal support, and payment of marital debts. There were no debts or assets obtained during the marriage. What do I now? Can he contest the divorce after the marriage has already been dissolved? Do I need to just mail a copy of the decree to the court and will that end this? Please help me! I feel like I've been dragged back into the gates of he*:eek:* after breaking free.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Virginia and was separated from my ex husband for 2 years. I filed for divorce with one attorney but my ex would never respond. I switched attorney's and the new one filed the ppw, posted an ad in the local paper, and after a few months my divorce was granted in Jan 09. Yesterday, I received divorce papers in the mail from my ex-husband requesting a divorce on the grounds of forced desertion or 1 yr separation but also asking that I not be allowed to sell my house (mine for 3 years before our 4 year marriage of which 2 we were separated), a restraint injuction, denial of spousal support, and payment of marital debts. There were no debts or assets obtained during the marriage. What do I now? Can he contest the divorce after the marriage has already been dissolved? Do I need to just mail a copy of the decree to the court and will that end this? Please help me! I feel like I've been dragged back into the gates of he*:eek:* after breaking free.
It is possible that he could get a new property settlement determined due to the fact that the court did could not determine property or jurisdiction of such if he was not participating. How was posting allowed if you knew where he was? Send him a copy of the divorce decree and answer his divorce complaint with a copy of the divorce decree attached to your answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">