• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce for retired spouses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

circuspeanut007

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

After thirty-one and a half years, 20 in the us army My husband left me for a woman 10 years my junior. I have filed for divorce. It seems so many lawyers do not know what is available for military spouses.
I stayed home raised a family of three kids and took care of my husband. His career always came first. Every time he was passed over for promotion i encouraged him. He was forced out because of not making his E7. During our career every penny went for his education because at the time it seemed right. I thought i would have time later. It didn't happen. Now he has walked out, I have no skills for a job. Have been unemployed for 4 months.Had been employed for the last 11 years. We had bought a house five years ago. Now I am stuck. He has paid the house note although not on time. Basically my credit is shot because of his actions. He is now refusing to help prepare the house for sale. He says he is going to file for bankruptcy and just let it go back. Our house is worth $158,000 and we only owe $127,000 What can i do. I have a lawyer and see says we are going to have the courts order the house sold. But what do I do in the mean time. It is the only place I have to live right now. Until I find another job I can not afford to keep the lights on. What is out there for help for a retired military spouse? Help by the way he works for the US Postal service and his girlfriend does too. He makes $22+ an hour.He thinks $200 a month is enough support. He lives in a high rise apt in Memphis with his girlfriend with Security guards, balcony and the works. But he has lied on court papers that he lives with his mom. He also lies to the kids. The youngest just told me she wants nothing to do with him anymore. I have since found out he has cheated on me for the: last 25 years with anyone who was willing. exposing me to who knows what kind of diseases

seniorjudge

Q: What is out there for help for a retired military spouse?

A: Ask your lawyer to file for temporary support for you.

circuspeanut007

temporary support was filed last oct. I scraped by until I lost my job in Feb. I have gone through every resouce I Know. He Postponed the divorce in March. Claiming he loved me and wanted to work this out. Since then he helped me a little and I was able to last until this month. last week I found out he was lying about everything. So I told my lawyer to continue the divorce. I figure he postponed only to drive me to the point of bankruptcy. Well I am there.
With my credit I probable wont be able to get an apt either.His support amounted to paying the big bills. House. Car that he bought. He says he can not pay anymore. He made over $60,000 last year. When we did our taxes I did him a favor and filed join. Joinly we owe $900. Separately I got back $600 and he owed $5000. I did this to benifit us both. I was suppose to get the stimulus payment of 1200 if I did this for him. He still won't pay the taxes.

temporary support was filed last oct. I scraped by until I lost my job in Feb. I have gone through every resouce I Know. He Postponed the divorce in March. Claiming he loved me and wanted to work this out. Since then he helped me a little and I was able to last until this month. last week I found out he was lying about everything. So I told my lawyer to continue the divorce. I figure he postponed only to drive me to the point of bankruptcy. Well I am there.
With my credit I probable wont be able to get an apt either.His support amounted to paying the big bills. House. Car that he bought. He says he can not pay anymore. He made over $60,000 last year. When we did our taxes I did him a favor and filed join. Joinly we owe $900. Separately I got back $600 and he owed $5000. I did this to benifit us both. I was suppose to get the stimulus payment of 1200 if I did this for him. He still won't pay the taxes.
What kind of debt do you have? Who did your taxes? Why does the house have to be sold? Has your attorney told you about your rights to your husbands military pension...and the possible support you will recieve? Have someone take a closer look at your finances, and demand discloser from your husband so you can arrive at some legitimate budgets for both of you. Have the temporary order modified if possible. From here on out don't make any agreements like you did about taxes without consulting your attorney, getting a signed agreement or a court order. Focus on your finances and put the rest behind you.

circuspeanut007

I know I get half of his retirement. But almost 400 of that is disability. I cant touch that.
We have to sell the house because he says we can not afford and my lawyer thinks I can't afford it by myself. But i have no where to go. My lawyer sent the disclosure papers and received no answer as of yet. He has a lawyer too. He says on all the papers he lives with his mom but I have proof he still has packages sent to his apartment he shared with his girlfriend. He told me he would lie to protect her. I guess he meant that. He has accused me of hurting him and holding him at gun point for three days.needless to say he will say or do anything. I ran into him on Thursday and he said he would help get house ready to sell. Never showed or called. We have a house worth $158,000 we owe $127,000. I need the money to get started again. He wants to let it go back in bankruptcy. I will have to file bankruptcy because the debt we have is manly in my name. We paid off his credit card by borrowing against my car. When that was paid we were suppose to do the same for mine. He wouldn't do it. I have a military star card that we have used for household appliances , clothing, weights, x mas, Now he says it is all my debt because it is in my name. We have a $2000 dental bill that has dental work from two daughters and him and me. He says that is all mine because I set it up so I could have a root canal then everyone used it. It was for the family use. He says that is mine. Is there a way I can make him help do the repairs on this house? I need help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">