• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and retirement pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concernedmom63

What is the name of your state? SC

I have been married to my husband for 11 years. My husband retired from the AF in July 1991. I met him in Sept 1991 and I relocated from Chicago Nov 1991 and moved in with him. We were married in Nov 1993 two years later. I separated from my husband Dec 2003 after he physically abused me. prior to the physical abuse, my husnband committed adultery and habitually abused alcohol.

I filed officially for divorce in March 2004 after being able to afford an attorney. Since that time, my husband has allowed the home to go into foreclosure because he refused to pay even half the mortgage after being ordered to do so. I did not have the funds to go back to court to fight him on this. So, I just moved out of the marital home. At the present time I do not receive any alimony from him, and there were no children born to our marriage.

My question: Will I be entitiled to keep my ID card since I have been married to him for more than 11 years? Also, what do I need to do to be able to keep my ID card? I did make my attorney aware of what I wanted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

keyzblewz

No you won't be able to keep your I.D. card. You would only be entitled to any of his military benefits if you had been married 10 years or more and some of those years had overlapped his time in the military. Since you two married after he divorced you aren't elligible.

If you two had been married 10 years during which time he was in the military you would only be elligible for a portion of his retirement. One has to have been married to the military member for 20 or more years...time that overlapsed time in the military to be elligible for medical, commissary or any other benefits. Any retirement or benefits he gets due to his military career will not figure into your divorce in anyway. Sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">