• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wayne C

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been married 3 yrs. She has filed on me and kicked me in the street with me attending school at this time with no income. The house is in her name and our acquisitions together amount to a little furniture and some home improvements. Do i receive any equity from the home? What about the support she promised me when I enrolled in school? I am homeless, what is my next step.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been married 3 yrs. She has filed on me and kicked me in the street with me attending school at this time with no income. The house is in her name and our acquisitions together amount to a little furniture and some home improvements. Do i receive any equity from the home? What about the support she promised me when I enrolled in school? I am homeless, what is my next step.
She can't kick you out of the house without a court order. You're free to live there.

You will be entitled to 1/2 of marital equity. Basically, that will be 1/2 of the increase in home equity while you were married - but in Texas, the home equity may not have increased much over 3 years.

Did she promise to support you in writing or with witnesses? If not, her promise probably doesn't mean much.

LdiJ

She can't kick you out of the house without a court order. You're free to live there.

You will be entitled to 1/2 of marital equity. Basically, that will be 1/2 of the increase in home equity while you were married - but in Texas, the home equity may not have increased much over 3 years.

Did she promise to support you in writing or with witnesses? If not, her promise probably doesn't mean much.
I agree with the bolded, but there is always the potential issue of DV if he tries to force his way back in. That is always tricky and if there are no children involved, often not a wise move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">