• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and separate property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pt_girl_81

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I own a home that is in my name only purchased with my own money. I was
dating a man at the time and we've since married. He was never put on title to
the house and the home is worth 30% less than what I paid for it 2 yrs ago so there
is no equity (I made the payments, not him)
I am now selling my home and would like to file for divorce. My real estate agent advised
me to keep the divorce amicable because my husband, even though he is not on title, must sign off on any sale. Is this true?
Do we have to separate or live apart for any period of time before
a divorce can be finalized? I have not filed any papers yet but it concerns me because
my husband says he won't sign for me to sell my house and he has no plans to
move out.
I only recently moved to Michigan and I'm not sure what the law provides
for and I would like to handle the divorce proceedings myself because of a lack
of funds to hire an attorney. Any help/advice would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I own a home that is in my name only purchased with my own money. I was
dating a man at the time and we've since married. He was never put on title to
the house and the home is worth 30% less than what I paid for it 2 yrs ago so there
is no equity (I made the payments, not him)
I am now selling my home and would like to file for divorce. My real estate agent advised
me to keep the divorce amicable because my husband, even though he is not on title, must sign off on any sale. Is this true?
Do we have to separate or live apart for any period of time before
a divorce can be finalized? I have not filed any papers yet but it concerns me because
my husband says he won't sign for me to sell my house and he has no plans to
move out.
I only recently moved to Michigan and I'm not sure what the law provides
for and I would like to handle the divorce proceedings myself because of a lack
of funds to hire an attorney. Any help/advice would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
It probably would have been wiser to get divorced, and then to put your house on the market.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">