• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce settlements? are they normally crappy? or does it depend on the lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georiga

i am considering a divorce settlement, but there are certain things i would like, but my attorney is only asking for child support and the visitation. is this the norm? i expected him to be a little bit more aggressive. he said that most people are unhappy with settlement agreements, because you have got to save money, money, money. is this the norm? am i expecting too much, even though my STBX has the money? is he only required to pay for child support? thanks.

well, i had wanted to request payment of college and private schools, but that only happens if STBX agrees to it. so i got a second opinion and they said that no judge/court in the nation can demand anyone, regardless of income to pay for college/private school. i gues New Jersey is currently the exception? anyway, apparently the supposed settlement agreement is for people who get along and don't have any problems with getting a divorce. but since my STBX is an abuser and my children are so young the visitation isn't correct. my current lawyer also said that he took 3 hours to type out this settlement agreement and i just got an opinion from another lawyer which says that this is a basic form that every lawyer uses and all he did was change the names. my current lawyer also just charged me $250.00 an hour for typing out a settlement that his secretary changed the names for..i guess i am getting a new lawyer.

LdiJ

Cindergretta said:
well, i had wanted to request payment of college and private schools, but that only happens if STBX agrees to it. so i got a second opinion and they said that no judge/court in the nation can demand anyone, regardless of income to pay for college/private school. i gues New Jersey is currently the exception? anyway, apparently the supposed settlement agreement is for people who get along and don't have any problems with getting a divorce. but since my STBX is an abuser and my children are so young the visitation isn't correct. my current lawyer also said that he took 3 hours to type out this settlement agreement and i just got an opinion from another lawyer which says that this is a basic form that every lawyer uses and all he did was change the names. my current lawyer also just charged me $250.00 an hour for typing out a settlement that his secretary changed the names for..i guess i am getting a new lawyer.
Yeah, I would say that if your attorney is claiming that it took him three hours to write an agreement that is nothing more than "standard", that its time for a new attorney....sigh.

BelizeBreeze

You still have not given enough information. For example, how long were you married, did you work while married, what assets did you bring into the marriage, how old are you....yada yada yada.

nextwife

BelizeBreeze said:
You still have not given enough information. For example, how long were you married, did you work while married, what assets did you bring into the marriage, how old are you....yada yada yada.
Exactly. It's not important how much money he has as to property settlement. It's important how much money he has that accumulated DURING the marriage. Same with your marital assets..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">