• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Severance pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dawn 5215

New York

I have a question I have been divorced for about 4 years now and my question is about severence pay my job is closing permantly at the end of July and I am getting a severance from this job my ex now wants part of my severance in my divorce papers it says nothing about severance in it. Do I have to give him part of my severance ?

Isis1

New York

I have a question I have been divorced for about 4 years now and my question is about severence pay my job is closing permantly at the end of July and I am getting a severance from this job my ex now wants part of my severance in my divorce papers it says nothing about severance in it. Do I have to give him part of my severance ?
pfft...unless that court order stated ANYTHING about future income, ex can pound sand.

i do have to ask. were you court ordered to pay alimony? child support?

mistoffolees

pfft...unless that court order stated ANYTHING about future income, ex can pound sand.
You've got it.

My ex (divorce was final 3 years ago) still regularly asks me to pay her part of any money I receive. She's asking for part of my tax refund for last year and wants part of future bonuses that I haven't even received (or even been promised that I would receive).

Her latest was that she wanted me to voluntarily increase her alimony payment (only 11 months left, thank God!). When I declined, her response was that the least I could do is make her house payment for her.

You really have to learn to laugh at complaints and demands from the ex.

Isis1

You've got it.

My ex (divorce was final 3 years ago) still regularly asks me to pay her part of any money I receive. She's asking for part of my tax refund for last year and wants part of future bonuses that I haven't even received (or even been promised that I would receive).

Her latest was that she wanted me to voluntarily increase her alimony payment (only 11 months left, thank God!). When I declined, her response was that the least I could do is make her house payment for her.

You really have to learn to laugh at complaints and demands from the ex.

LMFAO!!! are you serious??? i don't like asking the husband for gas money. it would never ever cross my head to ask an ex for money!

LdiJ

LMFAO!!! are you serious??? i don't like asking the husband for gas money. it would never ever cross my head to ask an ex for money!
Those of us who have really good relationships with our ex's can sometimes ask the ex for some money or for a loan. If I was in dire straits and knew that my ex was flush, I wouldn't have a problem asking him for some help and he wouldn't have a problem giving it, or vice-versa.

LdiJ

New York

No, of course you do not have to give him any of your severance. However, if you are paying child support or alimony, you would be expected to use your severance to continue to pay it as ordered...just as you would use it to pay your other bills. You would not be able to skip those obligations just because you would no longer have a job for them to be garnished from.

Other than that...tell him to pound sand.

mistoffolees

No, of course you do not have to give him any of your severance. However, if you are paying child support or alimony, you would be expected to use your severance to continue to pay it as ordered...just as you would use it to pay your other bills. You would not be able to skip those obligations just because you would no longer have a job for them to be garnished from.
However, losing one's job can affect child support or alimony. If paying either or both of those, I'd talk with my attorney about requesting a reduction. If OP expects to be back at work before the severance pay runs out, there's no point. But if it looks like a long time out of work, he'll want to get the paperwork going so that the reduction can start as soon as the severance runs out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">