• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce, with a spouse that disappeared over 30 years ago??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raissi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My mom is looking to marry my dad. However, she is still (Maybe?) married to her ex of over 30 years ago. We are not sure if he is alive, dead, or god knows where. She has even tried those paid searches. What legal ground does she have? Is there some kind of abandonment law? Can she still proceed with the divorce? (She married a soldier and came over from Germany back in 1970. She obtained her citizenship, and divorced him. Soon remarried to this man, who disappeared shortly after) She wasn't exactly sure of the legal side, and didn't plan to remarry so just left it be.

single317dad

Social Security can tell you if someone is dead or alive; there used to be several free death index searches online, but many of those have become pay sites. I will not provide a link direct to any pay site, but here is a place you can begin your search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Death_Index

If all else fails, there is service by publication, but all other means must be exhausted before a court will allow that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">