• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce & SS disability fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Help-a-Hubby

Wisconsin

I am coming up on a starting divorce date.
My current wife is committing Social Security disability fraud.
I have tried to get her to come off of it for a few years now and this has caused much tension in our marriage.
Now she is coming after me full force, trying to take everything.
She is expecting to keep her SS, my 2 1/2 yr old SSI ( he actually has a disability ), plus take me for as much as she can.

How do I handle this.
Do I, advise my lawyer and let him take care of things.
Do I, advise SS to watch a particular Case number, due to fraud.
Do I, get SS involved after the divorce.

So many possibilities, and I don't know how to handle.
Any ideas would be of great help.

Help-a-Hubby

Proserpina

Wisconsin

I have tried to get her to come off of it for a few years now and this has caused much tension in our marriage.
She is expecting to keep her SS, my 2 1/2 yr old SSI ( he actually has a disability ), plus take me for as much as she can.

How do I handle this.

Help-a-Hubby

Please explain the fraud part.

Help-a-Hubby

She is 34 yrs old.
She was an adopted special needs baby. Due to her special needs she received SS disability for all of her life up till she graduated from college.
Then she went to work as a teacher, and we also got married. After 2 1/2 years she quit her job because she did not like it. Then decided to go back on SS. She is capable of working full time, and the subject on which she is disabled under requires two things.
1) treatment form a doctor
2) medication for the disability
of which neither does she meet

Help-a-Hubby

Proserpina

She is 34 yrs old.
She was an adopted special needs baby. Due to her special needs she received SS disability for all of her life up till she graduated from college.
Then she went to work as a teacher, and we also got married. After 2 1/2 years she quit her job because she did not like it. Then decided to go back on SS. She is capable of working full time, and the subject on which she is disabled under requires two things.

Help-a-Hubby

If SSA has deemed her disabled, this is not fraud in the slightest.

Forget that angle - it's out of your hands anyway.

Now, what exactly is your goal here?

Why aren't you talking to your attorney about this?

Isis1

She is 34 yrs old.

Help-a-Hubby
so explain something....when they do a review...in which they ask for evidence....how does she provide that?

Bali Hai

so explain something....when they do a review...in which they ask for evidence....how does she provide that?
It's really quite simple, she just says I'm disabled and it's all HIS fault! The checks arrive soon after.

BL

She is 34 yrs old.

Help-a-Hubby
I do not think you are fully aware of what SSA requires.

Also,if child lives with mom , child's benifits will go to mom.

commentator

As usual, we have a disgruntled somebody who really has very little understanding about government programs hollering "Fraud" and thinking they're going to get a lot of attention for the accusation. They walk in and drop "Hi, my (.....husband, wife, sister, grandma, whatever) is committing fraud with government benefits. You all get up in arms with me and lets prosecute/punish her!"

It is no wonder she is ignoring your instructions that she "come off of it." If she is deemed eligible by the system, she does not need to come off of it on your judgment. That would be really dumb of her. It is a little ironic that you two are bickering not only about her being on disability, which you want to take away from her without government intervention, but about your little SSI "golden child" which it sounds a lot like you want because of his/her earning potential from government benefits.

If you tell Social Security to "watch a certain case" they'll say, "Thanks a lot," and you'll never hear anything else from them regarding the case. Whether you wait till after the divorce, or bring it up in the divorce, or call them tomorrow, that's irrelevant. They'll take your information, and do what they please with it. They will not ever provide you with any follow up information or tell you what they did in regard to your information.

Whether or not your wife "could" work, is "able" to work, in your opinion, that doesn't matter one whit to the Social Security system, they make their own decisions. It is a very big system, and people do not just "decide they want to go back on it" on a whim.They cannot say "Oh, he makes me crazy!" and get what they want, though it may seem that way to you. So get over this business of your wife committing SS fraud. If you are actually getting a divorce, you need an attorney to guide you. If you tell them about your wife's SS fraud and try to make that an issue, they'll very likely tell you the same things we say here.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wisconsin

How do I handle this.

Help-a-Hubby
Google "unclean hands doctrine". You have a mess on your hands. Because you benefited from her fraud.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Correction : "Alleged Fraud"
Well, alleged fraud. But he says it was fraud. And yet HE BENEFITTED from it -- therefore, trying to take her down because he is bitter/spiteful/angry/whatever is going to backfire on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">