• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Steps Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was wondering how long it would take for me to get an uncontested divorce in Illinois. We got married here and both still live here. We've been married four years and don't have any kids. We've been seperated 6 months and this will be a no-fault, uncontested divorce.

Does there have to be a trial seperation first?

We basically have the forms and could fill them out and submit them, how long would it take from the day we submit them for it to be finalized?

I want to get this done quickly so I can go buy a house and it not be joint martial property.

Thanks!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was wondering how long it would take for me to get an uncontested divorce in Illinois. We got married here and both still live here. We've been married four years and don't have any kids. We've been seperated 6 months and this will be a no-fault, uncontested divorce.

Does there have to be a trial seperation first?

We basically have the forms and could fill them out and submit them, how long would it take from the day we submit them for it to be finalized?

I want to get this done quickly so I can go buy a house and it not be joint martial property.

Thanks!
Start here:
Illinois Divorce Source: State Divorce Laws: Illinois

Looks like you're going to either have to file for a fault divorce or wait a minimum of 6 months to file (you must be separated for 2 years, but this can be reduced to 6 months if you are in agreement). Then there's the queue time in the system which will probably be significant, as well.

Start here:
Illinois Divorce Source: State Divorce Laws: Illinois

Looks like you're going to either have to file for a fault divorce or wait a minimum of 6 months to file (you must be separated for 2 years, but this can be reduced to 6 months if you are in agreement). Then there's the queue time in the system which will probably be significant, as well.
It doesn't say anything on there about how long you have to wait if you've already done the 6 months in a no-fault divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">