• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce, and Student Loan Consigning For Adult Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smellsliketeams

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My father is getting divorced and is unsure if legally he can cosign for a student loan for me for the semester. He wants to do so, the situation is the divorce decree isn't official yet, he hasn't signed any paperwork for it and I am working student taking online classes and will be able to pay him back/pay off the loan in full before the first loan payment is due (it is only for 6,100 in total and is the only student loan I have and will need to take out). It's a private student loan, and I have taken into account the interest as well.

I am just curious if the divorce itself would preclude him for cosigning? He qualifies as a cosigner otherwise and it's a private student loan which doesn't require him to be a relative etc...On the loan agency's end and the schools end it isn't an issue.

He and my mother own a house jointly as well, and we are from NY state if that helps, although they still live in NY, I currently live in Massachusetts. Also he is technically my step father, and my mother and I haven't spoken in close to a decade. I don't know if he not being my biological father changes anything legally speaking I assume not as I am in my late 20s. Just want to list the details in case any of it effects the legal situation. Any information on the legal situation here, whether he can cosign would be really helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:

mr. spock

You are legally and adult and I can't imagine how the divorce affects you financially at all.
Your mother's husband is a legal stranger to you and has no legal entanglements with you or your parents - so I don't see why he can't cosign, unless there's something about the loan itself or about your school that would preclude any one other than your parents from co-signing a loan.
I would talk to the school and the bank and find out if they will accept.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">