• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CD12

Washington(not DC)- The short of it: Girlfriend is in a terrible 2+ year divorce with guy who loves to play games and make her miserable. Now he has subpoenaed me to show in court on his behalf and bring my financial statements with me. I run a small business and don't really have the time to play along with his game. Any way out of it? Thanks for any info.

seniorjudge

CD12 said:
Washington(not DC)- The short of it: Girlfriend is in a terrible 2+ year divorce with guy who loves to play games and make her miserable. Now he has subpoenaed me to show in court on his behalf and bring my financial statements with me. I run a small business and don't really have the time to play along with his game. Any way out of it? Thanks for any info.
You can hire an attorney to try to quash the subpoena, but, if the judge thinks your info is relevant, you will have to show up and give it.

Zephyr

seniorjudge said:
You can hire an attorney to try to quash the subpoena, but, if the judge thinks your info is relevant, you will have to show up and give it.

I agree with hiring an attorney, there is no valid reason for him to have your financial info

CD12

Divorce Subpoena

Thanks for the reply, how about some sort of declaration to the court in lieu of running down the "hire an attorney road"??

seniorjudge

CD12 said:
Thanks for the reply, how about some sort of declaration to the court in lieu of running down the "hire an attorney road"??
Okay, state the reasons why you should not give your testimony and we will listen.

CD12

Divorce Subpoena

In mediation (it failed and that's why they are heading to the court) both parties were in full agreement until it came to how the youngest child would get to counseling. Visitation, money, kids education, etc... everything was agreed on except the above mentioned. I can only assume he wants to tie my finances to the finacial settlement between the two, but if they made it all the way through the financial part of the settlement during mediation then why would my finances be needed other than his desire to show in court that he posesses much more money that myself. I make 55k a year and he conservatively takes in 400K so the drop in the bucket that my finances would make in a court settlement would be just that and a waste of the court time and my time- of which I have very little when it comes to the "spare" department. A couple days sitting in court (and his lawyer will find some way to make it acouple days) will be a serious hardship to the small business I run. Thanks for any feedback

seniorjudge

CD12 said:
In mediation (it failed and that's why they are heading to the court) both parties were in full agreement until it came to how the youngest child would get to counseling. Visitation, money, kids education, etc... everything was agreed on except the above mentioned. I can only assume he wants to tie my finances to the finacial settlement between the two, but if they made it all the way through the financial part of the settlement during mediation then why would my finances be needed other than his desire to show in court that he posesses much more money that myself. I make 55k a year and he conservatively takes in 400K so the drop in the bucket that my finances would make in a court settlement would be just that and a waste of the court time and my time- of which I have very little when it comes to the "spare" department. A couple days sitting in court (and his lawyer will find some way to make it acouple days) will be a serious hardship to the small business I run. Thanks for any feedback
I know that in most jurisdictions, failure to join a third-party is grounds for reversal.

Thus, most judges will join the third-party to avoid reversal.

So, that, I guess is one of the benefits of hanging around with married women! You are being punished by big bucks husband.

CD12

Thanks for the info. Think they would just take an IOU date and a copy of my tax return? ha ha ha. That way they could mill it over all they want and not tie up my time. Probably a better chance of "sunny and 81 F in Seattle" tomorrow.....

LdiJ

CD12 said:
Thanks for the info. Think they would just take an IOU date and a copy of my tax return? ha ha ha. That way they could mill it over all they want and not tie up my time. Probably a better chance of "sunny and 81 F in Seattle" tomorrow.....
I seriously think that hiring an attorney to try to quash the subpeona is probably your best bet.

CD12

Divorce Subpoena

LdiJ said:
I seriously think that hiring an attorney to try to quash the subpeona is probably your best bet.
10-4, thanks for the advice

adios

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">