• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and/or tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtcobain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi I have a question but I'm not sure if it belonds here, or in the tax area.

I was divorced several months ago. Our houe was "pre-marital property" in my wife's name, but I was later added to the deed of trust. I owed a few grand to the irs, and they put a lien on the house, but we didn't know that at the time, we didn't know until a month ago. So, when she went to sell the house, she had to pay off MY taxes that were solely my taxes, in order to sell the house.

Now, she wants payment from me. My question is, am I under any obligation to pay her for that? She paid them in order to be able to sell HER house, I didn't ask her to do that. I'm not asking for what's "moral" or "right", I'm asking if I have a legal obligation, could she sue me to pay that?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi I have a question but I'm not sure if it belonds here, or in the tax area.

I was divorced several months ago. Our houe was "pre-marital property" in my wife's name, but I was later added to the deed of trust. I owed a few grand to the irs, and they put a lien on the house, but we didn't know that at the time, we didn't know until a month ago. So, when she went to sell the house, she had to pay off MY taxes that were solely my taxes, in order to sell the house.

Now, she wants payment from me. My question is, am I under any obligation to pay her for that? She paid them in order to be able to sell HER house, I didn't ask her to do that. I'm not asking for what's "moral" or "right", I'm asking if I have a legal obligation, could she sue me to pay that?

Thanks
Yes, she can pursue compensation through the courts.
It's slimy to even ask.

davew128

Agree its slimy, not only that, had she used effective counsel she could have had the lien subordinated and not paid the tax on your behalf.

kurtcobain

Again not asking your opinions on what is right and wrong... you have NO idea what this woman did to me and m kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">