• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in TN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TN

I'm trying to find some info on behalf of my SIL. She was married in Davidson County, TN and now wants to file for divorce. They have no children together, no marital assets, no property to divide, she doesn't want alimony, etc. It's a very simple, uncontested divorce, but neither of them can afford an attorney to get it done. I told her she could do it pro se, but she knows nothing of the legal system, so I offered to help her out. I called the court clerks office in Davidson County, but they weren't very helpful in what, exactly, she needed to do to get the ball rolling. I also researched pro se divorces online, but I was told by the clerks office that Davidson County is different from all other counties when it comes to divorce. If anyone is from or familiar with this particular county and could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? TN

I'm trying to find some info on behalf of my SIL. She was married in Davidson County, TN and now wants to file for divorce. They have no children together, no marital assets, no property to divide, she doesn't want alimony, etc. It's a very simple, uncontested divorce, but neither of them can afford an attorney to get it done. I told her she could do it pro se, but she knows nothing of the legal system, so I offered to help her out. I called the court clerks office in Davidson County, but they weren't very helpful in what, exactly, she needed to do to get the ball rolling. I also researched pro se divorces online, but I was told by the clerks office that Davidson County is different from all other counties when it comes to divorce. If anyone is from or familiar with this particular county and could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
I had hot chocolate this morning. :)

A good start:

Main:
http://www.nashville.gov/circuit/circuit/

FAQ:
http://www.nashville.gov/circuit/circuit/faq.asp

Parenting Plan Info:
http://parentingeducation.nashville.gov/portal/page/portal/parenting/home/

Rules:
http://www.nashville.gov/circuit/circuit/forms/formcir_4_pprules.doc

Potential pro bono help:
http://lawyers.justia.com/practice/divorce/state/tennessee/county/Davidson/

Legal Aid Society:
http://www.las.org/

CS Info:
http://www.state.tn.us/humanserv/is/incomeshares.htm

Ooooh, hot chocolate! I'm jealous, I'm on a diet. :(

Thanks for all the great links, SP. Here's the only problem. The way the court clerk explained it to me is that Davidson County is kooky when it comes to divorces. They won't let you just come in, fill out forms, file and be done with it, like other counties will. And they won't give you any kind of legal advice. So, I'm trying to see if anyone else has dealt with the Davidson County Courts pro se before so I can see how to move forward with this.

Thanks for the help, though. You're a doll. ;)

ETA: Oh, and Legal Aid will only handle domestic abuse divorces, so that's a no-go.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Thanks for all the great links, SP. Here's the only problem. The way the court clerk explained it to me is that Davidson County is kooky when it comes to divorces. They won't let you just come in, fill out forms, file and be done with it, like other counties will. And they won't give you any kind of legal advice. So, I'm trying to see if anyone else has dealt with the Davidson County Courts pro se before so I can see how to move forward with this.

ETA: Oh, and Legal Aid will only handle domestic abuse divorces, so that's a no-go.
You're welcome. :)

BUT -- one of those links HAS a "SELF HELP" button on the front page, and downloadable booklet/s for doing it pro se!

I can't remember which one, but it's there. ;)

mistoffolees

Frankly, I'm not often in favor of self-help in divorce cases. Too many things can go wrong. My personal view is that DIY has no place in divorce proceedings - there's too much at stake.

If your SIL has an agreement on everything (no property, no alimony, etc), it shouldn't be too expensive to have an attorney write up the agreement and file it with the court.

Frankly, I'm not often in favor of self-help in divorce cases. Too many things can go wrong. My personal view is that DIY has no place in divorce proceedings - there's too much at stake.

If your SIL has an agreement on everything (no property, no alimony, etc), it shouldn't be too expensive to have an attorney write up the agreement and file it with the court.
I absolutely agree that anything would go more smoothly if an attorney were involved, but she just can't afford it. She's a single mom, works as a waitress and has 2 kids. So, I'm trying to help her find the cheapest way possible to get this done.

mistoffolees

I absolutely agree that anything would go more smoothly if an attorney were involved, but she just can't afford it. She's a single mom, works as a waitress and has 2 kids. So, I'm trying to help her find the cheapest way possible to get this done.
I understand that, but there are many times in life when it's "pay me now or pay me later". If there is absolutely no alternative, then she has to go that route. But more often than not, there's always SOME alternative.

New question...

If they were married in one county but have been living in a different county for the last 8 months, does the county that they live in now have jurisdiction or does she need to file for divorce in the county they were married in?

LdiJ

If they were married in one county but have been living in a different county for the last 8 months, does the county that they live in now have jurisdiction or does she need to file for divorce in the county they were married in?
Where they live now.

sigh...

So, turns out my SIL is pregnant...again. She and her husband split up about 6 months or so ago and haven't seen each other since. She has since been "seeing" a guy at her work and she says the baby is his. She's only a couple months pregnant, so simple math would prove it's not her husbands. She has all of the paperwork ready to file for her divorce, she just needs to meet up with her husband for him to sign the marital dissolution agreement. She's afraid that when he finds out she's pregnant, that he'll decide to contest the paternity. If that happens, is it going to hold up anything with the divorce proceedings? She asked me if it would be better for her to just not tell him she's pregnant. What do ya'll think? Is a judge even going to ask her if she happens to be pregnant?

mistoffolees

So, turns out my SIL is pregnant...again. She and her husband split up about 6 months or so ago and haven't seen each other since. She has since been "seeing" a guy at her work and she says the baby is his. She's only a couple months pregnant, so simple math would prove it's not her husbands. She has all of the paperwork ready to file for her divorce, she just needs to meet up with her husband for him to sign the marital dissolution agreement. She's afraid that when he finds out she's pregnant, that he'll decide to contest the paternity. If that happens, is it going to hold up anything with the divorce proceedings? She asked me if it would be better for her to just not tell him she's pregnant. What do ya'll think? Is a judge even going to ask her if she happens to be pregnant?
She really needs to see an attorney. Right after having her head examined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">