• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce is at unknown status - attorney is "MIA"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divamissx

What is the name of your state? Florida

Filed for divorce in Gainesville, Florida in December 2004. My attorney had to have the papers served to my husband in a prison facility in Virginia, which took a few months to accomplish. My court date was in May 2005. I attended, but the judge was unsure if he had jurisdiction to grant the divorce because husband is in Virginia, but I was told I did not have to return and would receive further information by mail or from my attorney after her research was completed.

It's now October 2005 and I have received no information. I have relocated to Clearwater, Florida. I contacted the court in Gainesville but they have no additional information and instructed me to contact my attorney. The attorney will not return my phone calls or email messages (I did leave her my forwarding address).

I will be relocating to South Florida in another week for a job. My husband will be released from prison in May 2006 and I would like for this divorce to be final before he is released. Since I cannot reach the attorney, what should be my next step?

Thanks for information,

Stacey

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">