• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce vs Legal seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona, but married in New mexico

I have a question my wife and I have had to file injured spouse the last 2 years for a previous child that I am behind on child support with. Each year they take an absurd amount of our tax return because im behind. Everything is fine between us and we have 2 kids of our own. We wont get the tax credit if we file separately while married so If we go through a separation process but still want to be in a relationship together is that possible to present to the courts. We are super confused with all of it. Could we divorce and tell the courts that we are still living under the same household and that we are still together but we just want all our finances separate? Any info would help greatly thank you
Why can't you just continue to file the injured spouse form? That is the purpose of the form. Its silly to even consider legally separating or divorcing just because of that.

kylebaysinger

Why can't you just continue to file the injured spouse form? That is the purpose of the form. Its silly to even consider legally separating or divorcing just because of that.
because that form still penalizes her as well. It doesn't cover all of our children's EIC.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona, but married in New mexico

I have a question my wife and I have had to file injured spouse the last 2 years for a previous child that I am behind on child support with. Each year they take an absurd amount of our tax return because im behind. Everything is fine between us and we have 2 kids of our own. We wont get the tax credit if we file separately while married so If we go through a separation process but still want to be in a relationship together is that possible to present to the courts. We are super confused with all of it. Could we divorce and tell the courts that we are still living under the same household and that we are still together but we just want all our finances separate? Any info would help greatly thank you
Why would you make more children if you can not/will not support the one you already made? :confused::(

kylebaysinger

Why would you make more children if you can not/will not support the one you already made? :confused::(
first of all the mother has moved to mexico and has refused to let me see my daughter for 7 years. There was an itial child support order that is almost paid off. But there is no new child support. I'm just currently in the process of paying off the back child support. Why would you even troll these forums with a situation you obviously know nothing about and then offer no help to the topic??

Just Blue

first of all the mother has moved to mexico and has refused to let me see my daughter for 7 years. There was an itial child support order that is almost paid off. But there is no new child support. I'm just currently in the process of paying off the back child support. Why would you even troll these forums with a situation you obviously know nothing about and then offer no help to the topic??
I doubt I would be allowed to "troll" all these years. And I based my comment on your statement(s).

Just Blue

ummmm again actually not. I agreed to payback only a portion in exchange a judge has stopped all future support and removed my parental rights. So again stop responding with stupid ****. I'm not asking for your insight on past experiences pertaing to back child support.
You are violating the TOS.

Silverplum

ummmm again actually not. I agreed to payback only a portion in exchange a judge has stopped all future support and removed my parental rights. So again stop responding with stupid ****. I'm not asking for your insight on past experiences pertaing to back child support.
You've burnt your bridges here.

LdiJ

because that form still penalizes her as well. It doesn't cover all of our children's EIC.
Its still a ridiculous idea to legally separate or divorce over a relatively small percentage of a tax refund. Your priorities are getting seriously skewed here and you need to take a big deep breath and rethink what you are considering. There is much more involved in a marriage than a tax return.

Also, a tax return is the document that you file with the IRS, either via paper or electronically to do your taxes. If you get a refund, its called a refund, not a return.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP - we can only go by the information you deign to provide. don't get upset when we do so. I suggest you figure out a way to cinsult with an attorney, as I doubt you will get help here, or down the street.

Just Blue

OP - we can only go by the information you deign to provide. don't get upset when we do so. I suggest you figure out a way to cinsult with an attorney, as I doubt you will get help here, or down the street.
I would love to see if OP has a thread "down the street". If so...Would you mind providing a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">