• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce w/o knowing location of husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joy515

Update! Found Him-now what??!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

(update)I found him. He lives in Ecuador and is willing to sign whatever he needs to sign to get us divorced. Here's my question. Now can I file for an uncontested divorce? If so, will service by certified registered mail be enough? Or does he file just sign a waiver?

(Original post)Hi just need clarification on something. I live in Fl. Was married when I was 17 in Detroit, MI. Had two children. Haven't seen husband in 19 years don't know where he is. I am looking to divorce now. When I file my papers and state that I don't know where he is, am I to run an ad in the city he last lived in or where I am currently residing? Children are now 18 and 20. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi just need clarification on something. I live in Fl. Was married when I was 17 in Detroit, MI. Had two children. Haven't seen husband in 19 years don't know where he is. I am looking to divorce now. When I file my papers and state that I don't know where he is, am I to run an ad in the city he last lived in or where I am currently residing? Children are now 18 and 20. any help would be greatly appreciated.
I believe you will need the court to order/approve service by publication. You don't just get to do it on your own.

joy515

Would love to get an attorney but can't afford it. Would anyone know since the children are 18 and 20 can I file for the Dissolution of Marriage w/o minor or dependent children or do I use the other form which states no dependent/minor children?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Would love to get an attorney but can't afford it. Would anyone know since the children are 18 and 20 can I file for the Dissolution of Marriage w/o minor or dependent children or do I use the other form which states no dependent/minor children?
The children are not minors. And you need to make attempts to locate him be it through the internet, social security searches, court records or what have you. You might consider contacting his family or friends if you can locate them. You have to TRY to find him before just doing a posting.

joy515

The children are not minors. And you need to make attempts to locate him be it through the internet, social security searches, court records or what have you. You might consider contacting his family or friends if you can locate them. You have to TRY to find him before just doing a posting.
Got it! I tried years ago but the last anyone knew was he left to his country Ecuador and that was 19 years ago. I do not speak with any of his family and don't even know where they are and haven't heard from them for over 19 years. But I get what your saying I have to use everything I can to find him or at least TRY. Thank you!

joy515

Found the husband

So I have found him and he agrees to the divorce. The problem is he lives in Ecuador. Am I able to file for an uncontested divorce and send him the papework via certified registered mail and that be good enough for the courts to accept as him being served? Or does he need to respond to the proceedings. He really doesn't care, we would just both like to get this legally taken care of.

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So I have found him and he agrees to the divorce. The problem is he lives in Ecuador. Am I able to file for an uncontested divorce and send him the papework via certified registered mail and that be good enough for the courts to accept as him being served? Or does he need to respond to the proceedings. He really doesn't care, we would just both like to get this legally taken care of.

Thanks!
You file for a divorce and if he does not dispute it then it is uncontested. You can serve him by certified mail -- well actually have the courts serve him by certified mail, providing instructions to the clerk. He needs served, but he doesn't have to respond so long as he agrees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">