• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce when flat broke

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdb

What is the name of your state? Kentucky (Henderson County)

How can or is there a way for my sister in law to file for divorce with no money?

She can get the paperwork from the courthouse and file them out, but is flat broke thanks to my no good brother (see link for story, <https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=368797&highlight=check+fraud>).

Looking for advice to give her. There is some abuse in the house with him vs. her and the kids (age 6 & 12). I looked it up, the abuse would fall under both harrassment and simple abuse. Worthless brother is a crackhead who steals and pawns anything that isn't bolted down as well as the check stealing.

Not sure if there is a hardship route she can take to get him restrained and divorced.

TIA,
Mike

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Kentucky (Henderson County)

How can or is there a way for my sister in law to file for divorce with no money?

She can get the paperwork from the courthouse and file them out, but is flat broke thanks to my no good brother (see link for story, <https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=368797&highlight=check+fraud>).

Looking for advice to give her. There is some abuse in the house with him vs. her and the kids (age 6 & 12). I looked it up, the abuse would fall under both harrassment and simple abuse. Worthless brother is a crackhead who steals and pawns anything that isn't bolted down as well as the check stealing.

Not sure if there is a hardship route she can take to get him restrained and divorced.

TIA,
Mike
If you can help her financially you might consider doing that....or your parents might consider helping her.

She also might check into Legal Aid in her area.

However to protect herself she needs to press charges for the check fraud.

mdb

I need to post an update in thread.

My sister gave her the money to cover the checks the day before the warrant was to be served to sis-inlaw. She gave them the money with the provision that SIL file for divorce afterwards. No she now says it costs money to file for divorce.

I'm afraid if any of us give them more money it'll go for something else and she won't follow through. If there is a no cost alternative to her, then we'll know whether or not she'll follow through or she's trying to scam us as well.

They're into us (Mom, me and sister) for $thousands and we're all tired of the promises, 2 steps forward and 6 steps back and so on...... She can get more help as a single parent of children than as a wife shackle to an idiot. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but we like her.

Again, if there is a way of a hardship filing (no cost) we'll know how far she is willing to go and she'll find out how far we are willing to help her get there if she take the first step herself.

Call me an ass, but I'm getting ready to send my son to college, so my extra money has another purpose.

TIA,
Mike

LdiJ

I need to post an update in thread.

My sister gave her the money to cover the checks the day before the warrant was to be served to sis-inlaw. She gave them the money with the provision that SIL file for divorce afterwards. No she now says it costs money to file for divorce.

I'm afraid if any of us give them more money it'll go for something else and she won't follow through. If there is a no cost alternative to her, then we'll know whether or not she'll follow through or she's trying to scam us as well.

They're into us (Mom, me and sister) for $thousands and we're all tired of the promises, 2 steps forward and 6 steps back and so on...... She can get more help as a single parent of children than as a wife shackle to an idiot. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but we like her.

Again, if there is a way of a hardship filing (no cost) we'll know how far she is willing to go and she'll find out how far we are willing to help her get there if she take the first step herself.

Call me an ass, but I'm getting ready to send my son to college, so my extra money has another purpose.

TIA,
Mike
A person can file for divorce themselves, and then the only costs are filing fees. However, someone who is not the "sharpest knife in the drawer", has absolutely no business representing themselves. That might be a great way to have your brother end up with custody of the kids!

Like I said, there might be a chance that Legal Aid could take on the case for her. However that's about the only option available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">