• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce while awaiting for a green card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zrodriguez

What is the name of your state?
My state is Florida. I have been living with my husband for about 6 years, but only a year ago we got officially married. Now, he is having serious psychiatric problems, and I am scared for our lives. We are waiting for the interview in order to get my US permanent residency. Is there any law to protect an immigrant when the spouse, who is a citizen, is abusive and mentally sick? What are the chances for me to get my residency if I divorce him now?

familymatters

There is a protection for people like you. You may want to make sure that you have evidence for living with him and marrying in good faith, and also evidence for the abuse, before and after the marriage.

You may want to speak with real attorney about how, to whom, and when to present that evidence, so that your current resident status application is not wasted.

Below is some general info regarding protection of battered spouses.

Good luck and stay safe!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/battered.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">