• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced but name still on house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Louisiana. Over ten years ago my divorce was finalized. The house that my ex is living in is under my name and his. How can I go about getting my name off of? Is there a way I can donate it to him? There was also a second mortgage on it. I want that part of my life cleared up. What can I do?

FlyingRon

Getting off the deed is easy, but to get off the mortgages would require them to be paid off (refinanced).

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Louisiana. Over ten years ago my divorce was finalized. The house that my ex is living in is under my name and his. How can I go about getting my name off of? Is there a way I can donate it to him? There was also a second mortgage on it. I want that part of my life cleared up. What can I do?
Does your divorce address the issue of refinancing?

If there is nothing in the divorce requiring your ex to refinance, then he has no legal obligation to refinance to take your name off the mortgage. You can ASK him to do so, but he doesn't have to. Your best bet is to convince him that at current low interest rates, it would be to his advantage to do so.

Meanwhile, do NOT donate the house to him or sign a quit claim deed. That would eliminate any claim you have on the house, but would still leave you liable for the mortgage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">