• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced with DEBT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjtj1999

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am looking for advice. Before my ex-husband and I were legally divorced, we purchased a vehicle (in his name because my credit would not allow me to ge a loan). When we divorced, it was stated in our papers that the vehicle and all debt to it was mine.

Now, four years later, I found myself in a financial bind. Unable to catch up on the car payment, I was forced to let it go back to the bank. Now the collection agent is calling him non-stop wanting him to pay the balance of the note. I called them to tell them that the I was responsible for the vehicle, but they told me that because the loan was originally in his name and not mine, there is nothing they can do. They said they would have to keep calling him. I don't have the money to pay. Is there anything legally he can do? Please help!

LdiJ

tjtj1999 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I am looking for advice. Before my ex-husband and I were legally divorced, we purchased a vehicle (in his name because my credit would not allow me to ge a loan). When we divorced, it was stated in our papers that the vehicle and all debt to it was mine.

Now, four years later, I found myself in a financial bind. Unable to catch up on the car payment, I was forced to let it go back to the bank. Now the collection agent is calling him non-stop wanting him to pay the balance of the note. I called them to tell them that the I was responsible for the vehicle, but they told me that because the loan was originally in his name and not mine, there is nothing they can do. They said they would have to keep calling him. I don't have the money to pay. Is there anything legally he can do? Please help!
Unfortunately, the bank is not a party to the divorce and is not bound by the divorce decree. Therefore the bank can go after your ex, and your ex is legally responsible.

However....why in the world did you allow a car to go back to the bank that you had been paying on for at least 4 (if not more) years? It should have been nearly paid off. Why didn't you sell it instead and pay off the bank?...or tell your ex about it and turn the car over to him so that he could have handled it? In any case, you have now messed up HIS credit, which was a very unfair thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">