• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced, she remarried

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MDWooley

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was divorced in 2000. Paid $300.00 a month until she remarried in 2003. She and I verbally agreed that I did not have to continue the monthly payments. Now, she is charging me with Contempt, and wants all the money back to March 2003. She also gets half of my military retirement, which has not stopped.

She got remarried, why do I have to continue to support her? Is our verbal agreement binding? I have witnesses to this agreement.

Thank you

Mark

BelizeBreeze

MDWooley said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I was divorced in 2000. Paid $300.00 a month until she remarried in 2003. She and I verbally agreed that I did not have to continue the monthly payments. Now, she is charging me with Contempt, and wants all the money back to March 2003. She also gets half of my military retirement, which has not stopped.

She got remarried, why do I have to continue to support her? Is our verbal agreement binding? I have witnesses to this agreement.

Thank you

Mark
and is this spousal support or child support?

BelizeBreeze

MDWooley said:
Alimony is to be paid for 5 years. Does not reference her remarrying. What does the law say?
At this point, it doesn't matter what the law says. Your divorce decree supercedes the law in this matter. Therefore, you pay spousal support (alimony) until the 5 years are up.

MDWooley

So her getting remarried and the verbal agreement mean nothing? And the fact that she waited almost 2 whole years to do this?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">