• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing. Both Mil. Both Wash Residents. Living Overseas. Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustSomeDude1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington?

Firstly, any help, guidance, or advice would be very welcome. I will try to be brief:

-Both active duty military.
-Both live overseas.
-Married in FLORIDA.
-Both WASHINGTON residents.
-Nothing to contest, very amicable.
-Married +5 years.

Questions:

Can we file online?
Do we have to come to Washington to divorce?
Will Washington accept our Florida Marriage License (because florida won't divorce us)?
Anyone know of any free legal hotline or lawyers I can talk too?

Again, anything would be helpful. Just want to get the process started. Thank you for your time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Firstly, any help, guidance, or advice would be very welcome. I will try to be brief:

-Both live overseas.
-Married in FLORIDA.
-Married +5 years.

Questions:

Can we file online?
Will Washington accept our Florida Marriage License (because florida won't divorce us)?

Again, anything would be helpful. Just want to get the process started. Thank you for your time.
Where is your address legally? Is it Washington? Why can't you get divorced where you are stationed? Do you have children?

-Both live overseas.
-Married in FLORIDA.
-Married +5 years.

Questions:

Can we file online?

I am not an attorney and I am not giving legal advice but I am a retired Army officer. As military you are entitled to free legal advice at your base SJA Legal Assistance office. You may have to make an appointment but some Legal Assistance offices have certain day and hours for walk in clients. Did I mention that the assistance is free?

JustSomeDude1

Where is your address legally? Is it Washington? Why can't you get divorced where you are stationed? Do you have children?

We live in Europe, which was why we cant get divorced here. No children. Our home of record is in Washington, we file taxes in Washington.

The Florida marriage license is what I am very concerned about atm.

Hope this helps.

Silverplum

We live in Europe, which was why we cant get divorced here. No children. Our home of record is in Washington, we file taxes in Washington.

The Florida marriage license is what I am very concerned about atm.

Hope this helps.
There's no need to be concerned about where you married. If you're married in FL, you're married in WA. All that matters is your current state of residency, which is WA.

Here's starter info on how to divorce in WA: http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/resource/general-information-about-divorce

Thank you for your service to our country. :)

JustSomeDude1

Hello,

Thank you for the assistance. I have attempted to call the free hotline to speak with someone but it is always busy. As such, this forum was very helpful, so thank you again.

Given what I have gleaned from the internet regarding this particular topic, it appears I should be able to file a non-contested divorce online, wait 90 days, and then be officially divorced. Is this an accurate assumption?

Thanks.

Silverplum

Hello,

Thank you for the assistance. I have attempted to call the free hotline to speak with someone but it is always busy. As such, this forum was very helpful, so thank you again.

Given what I have gleaned from the internet regarding this particular topic, it appears I should be able to file a non-contested divorce online, wait 90 days, and then be officially divorced. Is this an accurate assumption?

Thanks.
You're quite welcome. :)

Well, it's a shortened assumption. :) One thing you missed is that you have to serve/file more paperwork after the 90 days, to complete the divorce. Read this entire page for all the info: http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/resource/ending-your-marriage-or-domestic-partnership?ref=m1RXw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">