• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing- can spouse get more than half of the house sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

griffith07

Long story short I live in alaska and am getting a divorce. We are selling the house and my spouse says I owe them $10,000 dollars from the $40,000 we will pocket from the sale of the house. I have been unemployed for the past year so all of the improvements to the home have come out of their pocket.

Do they have any legal standing to say I owe them that money. They also say that I owe them for the cell phone, internet, utilities, food, and all that kind of stuff for the past year but is willing to not add that if i just give them the 10,000. Basically they want 30,000 of the 40,000 profit.

I'mTheFather

Long story short I live in alaska and am getting a divorce. We are selling the house and my spouse says I owe them $10,000 dollars from the $40,000 we will pocket from the sale of the house. I have been unemployed for the past year so all of the improvements to the home have come out of their pocket.

Do they have any legal standing to say I owe them that money. They also say that I owe them for the cell phone, internet, utilities, food, and all that kind of stuff for the past year but is willing to not add that if i just give them the 10,000. Basically they want 30,000 of the 40,000 profit.
Have the bills been paid? If so, your spouse isn't going to be reimbursed.
Is the house jointly owned, and for how long?

single317dad

I would tell the spouse to pound sand.

In fact, I would tell the spouse that the division of proceeds from marital property in equitable distribution states is not necessarily 50%, and very well could be more than half in favor of the person who isn't working and has no immediate prospects of doing so!

But, yeah, I'mTheFather's probably right; (s)he'll probably get half.

griffith07

Do you think there is any chance I will have to pay for the last years worth of bills? It seems like this is going to be a dirty slugfest.

griffith07

One thing i forgot to mention... I moved out for 3-4 months for the last year and during that time my spouse made about 5k in improvments on the property. Will me moving out for a short while affect whether i owe anything? Still no written agreement... they paid all the bills while i was not living there.

Just Blue

Please define who, exactly, is the "they" "their" and "them" in your divorce with your STBX? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">