• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorcing fair to both?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nothin_new313

North Carolina, I had asked for a divorce a year ago. I needed to find myself, no matter how corney that sounds. I had gotten an apartment and began spending time on me. I have been going out to see him, he is all alone in this state, by choice. He is taking this very hard and he also acknowleges that this is the best for us. We have a truck, house and cc in both of our names. I had asked him to refinance and get those things out of my name. He said he tried and they were going to raise his rate. I am moving out of state, he has been laid off for 3 mo. I would like to have a paper drawn up that gives us the divorce and relieves me of responsibility without raising his rates. can it be done? how much will it cost me? how long will it take? I did not mean to ramble, but I want you to know that my husband was not doing anything wrong, nor was I.

Last edited:

D

dorenephilpot

There's no agreement that the two of you can write up between yourselves that will guarantee any kind of action (such as low rates) by a bank.

How it's usually done is: The settlement agreement is written up so that he has a specified period of time to refinance (to get your name off the loan). If he does not refinance within that period of time, then he has to sell the property, at which time you would be off the hook also.

The higher rates and terms are his problem, not yours.

If he wants to keep the property, then that's his job to take care of it one way or the other.

Hope this helps!

G

Grandma B

Puzzled that refinancing now would cause rate increase. Interest rates are lower than they've been in many years.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nothin_new313 said:
"I needed to find myself . . . "
My response:

How very '70's of you to say that !

Care to go to an "EST" encounter seminar ?

Did you ever watch Rowen & Martin's "Laugh In" ?

Wow, did that statement bring back a lot of memories for me !

IAAL

wtd

Now where did I put myself?
I could have sworn I had myself right here just a minute ago ...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Ooops !

There I am !

I found myself in the glovebox of my 1971 Volkswagen Bus. Whew, if it wasn't for my leg sticking out, I would have never found myself.

Wow, I gotta say, I haven't heard that old cliche` in years !

IAAL

wtd

Well, hopefully she'll be able to get it together and keep on truckin' - no wait - she had her name taken off that, I guess she'll just have to keep on keepin' on.

wtd

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

That was terrific ! I love it, "Keep on truckin'" - - that character with the big nose, and that long leg stepping forward in the foreground of the picture, with that huge shoe showing the sole ! Good times, good times.

Well, it's been real "groovy" talking about all this. Back to reality.

IAAL

http://www.vipgrafx.com/hippy/gallery_13.htm

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">