• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing a Federal Inmate in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsmith17

I have been married for 12 years. For the last 3 years my husband has been in a Federal Prison. He has about 6 more years to serve. The Federal Government has liens against all of our properties until all of his fines are paid. I am looking to get a divorce. His arrrest and incarceration was unexpected (for me that is) and he left me with a large amount of debt. The biggest part of the debt was credit cards he had charged up in the few months before being arrested. I have only been paying for what was important to me & my son (house, vehicles, utilities, etc). We are in the process of buying a home and own 3 vehicles with one still in the process of buying it. What can I expect in a divorce with the federal liens and all the debt involved? I would guess that I am going to need a very good lawyer to help me sort through this, is that true? Thank you for any advice you can give. Please only sincere help - no insults needed.

Last edited:

Litigation!

dsmith17 said:
I have been married for 12 years. For the last 3 years my husband has been in a Federal Prison. He has about 6 more years to serve. The Federal Government has liens against all of our properties until all of his fines are paid. I am looking to get a divorce. His arrrest and incarceration was unexpected (for me that is) and he left me with a large amount of debt. The biggest part of the debt was credit cards he had charged up in the few months before being arrested. I have only been paying for what was important to me & my son (house, vehicles, utilities, etc). We are in the process of buying a home and own 3 vehicles with one still in the process of buying it. What can I expect in a divorce with the federal liens and all the debt involved? I would guess that I am going to need a very good lawyer to help me sort through this, is that true? Thank you for any advice you can give.

My response:

Rmet!!!

JetX!!!

Anybody!!!

Who has my violin?? I need it for this post!!

IAAL

Litigation!

Here's Another One From Texas. How Do You People Live??

TRYN2HELP
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2006

Need Help On How 2 Reverse An Adoption

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This is a Texas Situation) My husband allowed his parents to adopt his son in an open adoption because he could not provide insurance and a stable environment for his son at the time of his divorce. The mother didn't even bother to show to the hearing, but she is a alcohol and drug abusing lesbian that has mental problems. His parents promised visitation and that he could have his son back when he got his life situated once again, but they have since changed their mind completely. We want to fight this legally in court, but all the laws we have seen show that 6 months is all that is allowed. (this adoption occurred less than a year ago, but more than 6 months ago). His parents have come up with every excuse under the sun and won't allow him visitation but maybe once a month. The child is only 3 1/2, but has strongly stated he wants to live with his father and me, but in texas he's way too young according to the courts to choose who to live with. My husband's parents have allowed the mother to come back into the child's life as well and she is still using drugs/alcohol and even living with a paroled drug dealer (her lesbian life partner). We are desperate to find out where to begin and would love for any help that anyone could provide. My husband would never have signed the paperwork had he known that this is how things would turn out. We just feel that there is some law or maybe case law that could help us get this adoption reversed. My husband is physically becoming ill from the stress of this and we have had great doubts because this will cause great hurt and problems within his whole family. He finally decided that he has to do something and he's going to pursue trying to get his son back. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP OR PROVIDE US INFORMATION FROM THEIR EXPERIENCES/PROBLEMS WITH THIS SO THAT WE CAN GET HIS SON BACK OR AT LEAST GET THE JOINT CUSTODY AGREEMENT BACK SO THAT HE COULD THEN AT LEAST SEE HIS SON WHILE HE COULD POSSIBLY SEEK SOLE CUSTODY?
We would greatly appreciate help from anyone and are looking forward to hearing your replies.
Thanks again and please send your answers/advice/help!

S

shell007

Litigation! said:
My response:

Rmet!!!

JetX!!!

Anybody!!!

IAAL

My son might have your violin, but he needs it back for his concert tomorrow evening. Can we keep it for another day OR do you need it back immediately???:)

Litigation!

shellandty said:
My son might have your violin, but he needs it back for his concert tomorrow evening. Can we keep it for another day OR do you need it back immediately???:)

My response:

It'll wait. I don't think these two Texas numbskulls are going anywhere.

IAAL

dsmith17

You must be related to my husband! He was a jerk too!!!

You must be related to my husband! He was a jerk too!!!

S

shell007

Litigation! said:
My response:

It'll wait. I don't think these two Texas numbskulls are going anywhere.

IAAL
I''ll return it tomorrow promptly @ 8:00 p.m.

Additionally...we appreciate your kind gesture in letting us borrow your violin!!:)

Litigation! said:
My response:

Rmet!!!

JetX!!!

Anybody!!!

IAAL
What about your organ? Does it still work?

One more thing, Thanks For the Visual! Kinky is only kinky the first time you try. Guess what?! I'll rry anything once and if I like it, I'll do it again!

Last edited:

Litigation!

shellandty said:
I''ll return it tomorrow promptly @ 8:00 p.m.

Additionally...we appreciate your kind gesture in letting us borrow your violin!!:)

My response:

Not a problem. Just leave a note the next time. I couldn't remember whom I lent it to.

Hope your son turns into an Impresario!!

IAAL

Litigation!

cissycicle said:
What about your organ? Does it still work?

My response:

You mean my standard size Flute? When I'm not aroused, it takes the shape of a bass Saxaphone. Kinda kinky, eh?

IAAL

Litigation! said:
My response:

You mean my standard size Flute? When I'm not aroused, it takes the shape of a bass Saxaphone. Kinda kinky, eh?

IAAL
Do you do "solo" on your organ, or is it a"joint" effort?

AHA

dsmith17 said:
I have been married for 12 years. For the last 3 years my husband has been in a Federal Prison. He has about 6 more years to serve. The Federal Government has liens against all of our properties until all of his fines are paid. I am looking to get a divorce. His arrrest and incarceration was unexpected (for me that is) and he left me with a large amount of debt. The biggest part of the debt was credit cards he had charged up in the few months before being arrested. I have only been paying for what was important to me & my son (house, vehicles, utilities, etc). We are in the process of buying a home and own 3 vehicles with one still in the process of buying it. What can I expect in a divorce with the federal liens and all the debt involved? I would guess that I am going to need a very good lawyer to help me sort through this, is that true? Thank you for any advice you can give.
It's time to downsize, you don't need a new home and you certainly don't need THREE cars!
With all the debt, you might not end up with much profit, but if you can't afford to live like a queen on your income, then it's time to step down from the throne.
You really need to consult with a very experienced divorce lawyer since there is so much debt to be dealt with.
Why did you wait 3 years to consider divorce? Surely all the debts have just been multiplying? And if he has been in prison for 3 years, but you can afford to buy a third car AND a new home, why haven't you paid off the debts?

Litigation! said:
My response:

IAAL
Hey, I just realized something here. My former spouse took the harmonica when he left. I'm out of practice on the "mouth organ". Loan me yours, would you? Promise I'll return it in the same condition as when I pick it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">