• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing an illegal immigrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beatles90

I live in wisconsin and my husband left a year ago to California. We have a four year boy and our marriage has died. Where do i start? What would happen with our boy? What would happen with my soon to be ex husband, if his status would jeopardize anything? We got married in Illinois so i know i would have to go there first to file. What if he agrees, what could i do to make it go smoothly?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I live in wisconsin and my husband left a year ago to California. We have a four year boy and our marriage has died. Where do i start? What would happen with our boy? What would happen with my soon to be ex husband, if his status would jeopardize anything? We got married in Illinois so i know i would have to go there first to file. What if he agrees, what could i do to make it go smoothly?
First, you do not file for divorce where you got married, you file for divorce in your state of legal residence. You would ask for custody of your son in the divorce, and since he has lived with you solely for the last year, you should be granted custody. If you want it to go as smoothly as possible, you get an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">