• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorcing an inmate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tinkrbell

I live in texas and so does my estranged spouse ( I think) I have not seen my husband for nearly three years, the last I heard he was in jail. I've had several people tell me (including law enforcment officers and probation officiers) that I can get a free divorce if he is still in jail. when i contacted the county clerk I was told there is no such thing as a free divorce from an inmate. I have all the paperwork filled out but I cannot find my husband to sign nor at this time do I know if he is still incarcerated. How can I ditch this loser without it costing me alot of money? I'm a single parent and cannot afford a lawyer or really even the court cost and filing fees. please e-mail any replies to [email protected]

Last edited:

stephenk

have you contacted the Texas Department of Corrections to determine if he is in a state penitentary? Does he have any family that you can ask concerning his whereabouts?

T

tinkrbell

okay i've contacted both federal and state corrections depts. he is in niether, so i'm wondering what my next step should be? i tried to contact family but will not respond to my calls nor will any of them give me any info about him. i want to buy a home for me and my children but have been advised to get the divorce before i take out a home loan. i would love to resolve this asap but not sure what my options are at this time. can he lay claim to my home if i decide to buy? we never had a formal seperation. can i file abandoment to protect what assest i do have?

J

JEXT

First rule of thumb, never date a guy in jail. It always ends up in divorce or assault and battery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">