• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorcing me after 29 years together

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mema1

pa
My husband is self employed in construction. I have worked for the post office for 4 years and have had ms for 2 years, I'm being treated by a dr and still working. He just walked out , is sleeping on sons sofa. Says he's filing for a divorce. I had no idea this was coming. It's been 2 weeks and I'm still a mess. Now he seems to think I will have to pay for his health insurance and pay him alimony because his work is unsteady after he divorces me. I had a consultation with att. I was told that he would have to pay alimony. I don't really want alimony I would rather take a bigger cut of the assets. I can't afford to call the att with every little question. Does any one know? thank you for reading this and please respond

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does anybody know what?

If you're asking if you can take a larger portion of the assets in lieu of alimony - then sure. That will be part of your negotiations.

mistoffolees

Does anybody know what?

If you're asking if you can take a larger portion of the assets in lieu of alimony - then sure. That will be part of your negotiations.
HOWEVER, be very, very careful. You're going to have MS for the rest of your life (barring some miracle cure that hasn't been discovered yet). A chunk of money today might look attractive, but it might also disappear pretty quickly. Make sure you discuss it with your attorney. Also, if your insurance is from his work (although it's unlikely), make sure he doesn't cancel it - you can easily get a court order telling him not to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">