• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing/Moving..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lillol50

I am in Texas and am divorcing. I want to buy a house but I am told not to until the divorce goes through. But I am moving out before telling my husband. Basically long story short - is it possible to buy without it getting mixed up in the divorce? Can I put the house in my sister's name or anything, but still do the financing myself? Is there anything I can do before the divorce is final? Thanks for your help!!What is the name of your state?

kimberlywrites

Hi,
I'm in TX, and I was in the same situation. I bought a house before the divorce was final. Bank wanted my STBX to sign a quit-claim deed or some other documents stating he had no interest in the house. Obviously your STBX has to be willing to cooperate, or you will likely not be able to do it. Best thing is to check with your bank.
Can you just rent somewhere for now? It will save you a lot of headache.

kimberlywrites

Also, we had a post-nuptual agreement made up after we separated, to protect each other's 'stuff' without worry of future claims on each other's 'stuff' once we divorced. What was ialready n his name was his, what was already in my name was mine. Anything purchases from that point forward (from the date of the post-nuptual) would remain in the name of the person who purchased it only. Anything joint, we split in half during the divorce.

If you're planning to 'sneak off' I doubt he'll cooperate with you on any of this. Be very careful.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am in Texas and am divorcing. I want to buy a house but I am told not to until the divorce goes through. But I am moving out before telling my husband.
You are moving out before telling your husband about the divorce?

Basically long story short - is it possible to buy without it getting mixed up in the divorce?
Nope. Your husband would have to be notified and agree.

Can I put the house in my sister's name or anything, but still do the financing myself?
I do not know of a bank that will allow that and it borders on being fraudulent.

Is there anything I can do before the divorce is final?

You can secure a short term rental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">