• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing my wife and annulling my marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rollysoriano

I'm a naturalized U.S. Citizen. I married 6 years ago to a Philippine citizen.

As to this date, she is a Philippine citizen living in the Phillipines while I live in the U.S. as a U.S. Citizen.

I want to get an Annulment in the Phillippines. However, if the court doesn't grant us the annulment, I want to get a divorce in the U.S. and I'm not sure if the marriage is recorded in the US. I got a marriage certificate from the NSO in the philippines.

My question:
01. How do I find out if my marriage is recorded in the US? If I show them my marriage certificate in the hall of records, will they automatically record it?

02. Since Divorce is not recognized in the Philippines, is annulment my only course of action in ending my marriage?

03. What is the typical cost and time of getting an annulment in the philippines and can you recommend a good attorney?

Thank you in advance for your helpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

We can only answer questions about US law, not Philippine law, and you failed to name your state so we can't even answer the US law questions. Family law is state-based.

LdiJ

We can only answer questions about US law, not Philippine law, and you failed to name your state so we can't even answer the US law questions. Family law is state-based.
I actually CAN answer his question...

Forget even trying for the annulment in the Phillipines. Go straight for the US divorce. The US recognizes any legal marriage from any country in the world, so you don't have to worry about your marriage being recorded or registered in the US. You can simply file for divorce. However, I would recommend that you use an attorney, because the process will go smoother.

Don't expect your wife to cooperate with the divorce. She cannot. Why? because if you divorce her, against her will, in another country, then the Phillipines will automatically grant her an annulment. However if she cooperates with the divorce (ie signs paperwork to make it uncontested) then the Phillipines will not automatically grant her the annulment. She doesn't have to fight against the divorce, (she can claim the inability to afford a US attorney) but she cannot cooperate with it either. Basically you would end up with a default divorce in the US, and then she could easily get an annulment in the Phillipines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">