• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing Parents - Disabled Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avidan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Since this is about divorce, I put it in this forum, though I am also asking about disability and assistance. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

See, the problem is that after 32 years of marriage, my parents are getting divorced. My mother, who is 55, is disabled but could not get disability because of my father's income. I am her 31 year old and eldest son, and am unemployed due to layoff (past the extent of unemployment compensation), but for the past number of years, I have also taken care of my mother full time. She requires medical supplies and medications that she gets on my father's insurance. When they divorce, she will most likely lose insurance benefits and income.

Without any income, benefits, work, or even a house, as they rent, is there any way to get help for my mother and I, as I will still be caring for her? I don't want either of us to end up in the street, but I don't know what to do to keep that from happening.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dad may be required to pay alimony, and possibly provide health insurance for Mom. She should also likely reapply for disability once they're divorced. However, he will not likely be required to also support you. So you will need to get back to work, one way or another.

mistoffolees

Dad may be required to pay alimony, and possibly provide health insurance for Mom. She should also likely reapply for disability once they're divorced. However, he will not likely be required to also support you. So you will need to get back to work, one way or another.
In addition, check to see if Mom can remain on Dad's insurance after the divorce, perhaps via COBRA. Personally, I haven't seen it, but someone says that they see it frequently. COBRA is expensive, but if it's the only alternative, it might make sense.

Depending on the benefits Mom receives when she reapplies, she might get coverage to pay a part or full-time aide which would allow OP to go out and get a job. Or, if he's licensed, it might pay him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep. But either way, OP is going to have to find a way to support himself. No judge that I know of will force Dad to support his adult son. Not even to provide care for his ex.

PQN

Alimony is one source of income (and rather likely after a 32 year marriage).

Also, have her re-apply for SSI. Without dad's income, she may qualify if her disability is severe enough and well documented.

LdiJ

Yep. But either way, OP is going to have to find a way to support himself. No judge that I know of will force Dad to support his adult son. Not even to provide care for his ex.
I agree, but I do know that occasionally family members are approved by medicaid/SSDI to be paid as caregivers for disabled relatives.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So how much does dad earn? Because alimony may NOT happen. How old is dad? What is dad's education level? Do they own or rent the home? Does your father have a pension/retirement account?

There are many more questions that need answered before it is assured that alimony will happen.

Avidan

I thought so. For me, work is the problem. I provide her care around the clock. She has very little ability to walk (due to multiple surgeries, a disease of the nervous system now in remission, failed knee surgeries and so on), and the house they rent is small and so she needs assistance getting from one place to another inside. She has other health issues that also require frequent monitoring, and so it leaves me between a rock and a hard place. Even if I could find a job (I've been looking since the day I was laid off), there would be no one to care for her.

In addition, check to see if Mom can remain on Dad's insurance after the divorce, perhaps via COBRA. Personally, I haven't seen it, but someone says that they see it frequently. COBRA is expensive, but if it's the only alternative, it might make sense.

Depending on the benefits Mom receives when she reapplies, she might get coverage to pay a part or full-time aide which would allow OP to go out and get a job. Or, if he's licensed, it might pay him.
I didn't think about that. I can see if she can stay on his insurance.
Unfortunately, I am not licensed as a caregiver. I wish!

And I wouldn't want him to do so. I'm just concerned about her.

Alimony is one source of income (and rather likely after a 32 year marriage).

Also, have her re-apply for SSI. Without dad's income, she may qualify if her disability is severe enough and well documented.
Can she re-apply for SSI while they're still in the process, or does she have to wait until everything is done?

I agree, but I do know that occasionally family members are approved by medicaid/SSDI to be paid as caregivers for disabled relatives.
I don't think Ohio participates in the program, though. :(

So how much does dad earn? Because alimony may NOT happen. How old is dad? What is dad's education level? Do they own or rent the home? Does your father have a pension/retirement account?

There are many more questions that need answered before it is assured that alimony will happen.

He earns about $600 a week. He's 52 years old, his education is a GED he received about 10 years after dropping out of school. The home is rented, and no he doesn't have any pension or retirement account.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Since this is about divorce, I put it in this forum, though I am also asking about disability and assistance. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

See, the problem is that after 32 years of marriage, my parents are getting divorced. My mother, who is 55, is disabled but could not get disability because of my father's income. I am her 31 year old and eldest son, and am unemployed due to layoff (past the extent of unemployment compensation), but for the past number of years, I have also taken care of my mother full time. She requires medical supplies and medications that she gets on my father's insurance. When they divorce, she will most likely lose insurance benefits and income.

Without any income, benefits, work, or even a house, as they rent, is there any way to get help for my mother and I, as I will still be caring for her? I don't want either of us to end up in the street, but I don't know what to do to keep that from happening.

She applied for social security disability also? Did she accrue no work credits under her own SS number?

As a long term plan, you my want to look into what other care options for mom might be available. What about YOUR health insurance, your retirement savings needs, your need to accrue social security credits? What becomes of you when you need med care or can't work some day?

Avidan

$2400/month gross.

I'm not convinced Mom would get much alimony at all.

Dad does need to live, too.
True, which puts us all in the bind for the moment.

She applied for social security disability also? Did she accrue no work credits under her own SS number?

As a long term plan, you my want to look into what other care options for mom might be available. What about YOUR health insurance, your retirement savings needs, your need to accrue social security credits? What becomes of you when you need med care or can't work some day?
She had a job as a Day Care teacher for about 4 years, but was a homemaker the rest of the time. The disease that eventually disabled her did so around the time she turned 35, so she wasn't able to accrue enough work credits.

As for myself, I've had those concerns, but have pushed them to the back of my mind. Once I know she's okay, then I'll work on myself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
True, which puts us all in the bind for the moment.

She had a job as a Day Care teacher for about 4 years, but was a homemaker the rest of the time. The disease that eventually disabled her did so around the time she turned 35, so she wasn't able to accrue enough work credits.

As for myself, I've had those concerns, but have pushed them to the back of my mind. Once I know she's okay, then I'll work on myself.
The only way you can help your mom is if you get yourself situated. Based on those numbers, I see your mother not getting ANY alimony though a court may grant her $500 or less a month for a limited time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">