• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing/separating from an Alcoholic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LexiofBaja

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My husband has become and alcoholic spending nearly every dime we get on booze, I have made ultimatives threats and bribes with this man and nothing will work.
He is the only one working and his check is directly deposited. Would I have legal grounds to divorce or separate from him and take his money to put into another account for our bills, mortage, car payment and children. If I dont he will drink it up
is there a way i can put in the order he has to remain working attend aa or rehab or something and money has to be untouched for the sake of his children?
I don't know what else to do for this man to get help.

CourtClerk

YOU can't do anything for that man that he doesn't want done, but you can divorce for any reason you want. That's why the divorce rate is so high...everyone gets a divorce. As for taking his money.... I seriously doubt it, he has to live to and sadly if he chooses to drink his life away, that's perfectly within his right to do so.

The best things you can do for you and your kids right now are:
1. Get a job
2. Get a divorce

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">