• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing in the US after marrying abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Susan Nisidis

new york. I'm an American who married a Greek citizen in greece in 3/99. We have resided in NYC since 6/99. He is a legal permanent resident. What place would have jurisdiction over a divorce--NY or Greece? How do we go about getting divorced? Our marriage license is in Greek, but was officially translated by the Ministry of Forein Affairs, and acknowledged by the US Immigration office. Thank you, Susan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Susan Nisidis said:
new york. I'm an American who married a Greek citizen in greece in 3/99. We have resided in NYC since 6/99. He is a legal permanent resident. What place would have jurisdiction over a divorce--NY or Greece? How do we go about getting divorced? Our marriage license is in Greek, but was officially translated by the Ministry of Forein Affairs, and acknowledged by the US Immigration office. Thank you, Susan

My response:

It doesn't matter where in the World you're married. If you want a divorce, the State where you reside has jurisdiction over you, as a citizen of that State. Therefore, if you've met the jurisdictional minimum residency laws of your State (and you have, if you've lived in NY since 1999), then you can file for divorce in NY.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">