• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing when I can't find my spouse...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julianna

What is the name of your state? New York

I would like to get remarried, but I am still legally married to my estranged husband. I had him arrested in 1991 for domestic abuse --- I have not seen him since 1995 when he was convicted in family court of sexual abuse and neglect of our 2 small daughters during visitation.

I've tried to find him through the last job I knew he had, but they said he no longer works there...How can I go about getting a divorce without his signature - or maybe even finding out if he has already done the same thing?

Thank you!

Julianna

julianna

Ok... Gosh, I honestly wish I didn't have to find him... I have been unlisted in the phone book since the incident with my children, scared he might find us... They are grown now, but I can only hope he doesn't have to know where we live....

Is there any other way to obtain the divorce besides finding him?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok... Gosh, I honestly wish I didn't have to find him... I have been unlisted in the phone book since the incident with my children, scared he might find us... They are grown now, but I can only hope he doesn't have to know where we live....

Is there any other way to obtain the divorce besides finding him?
No. He needs to be served. You may be able to keep your address and phone number confidential but he needs to be served so that his rights are not violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">