• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DIY Dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LetsGetThisOver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

After agreeing to pay a very hefty tax bill (which I agree with pretty stupid of me but we are married and well, taxes being what they are...I wasn't getting out of it and well it's not necessarily worth fighting over since we physically together (in the same house) for over half the year) for 2009, my space cash is quite low and to pay a lawyer right now would be out of the question. We've been physically separated since July 22 of 2009. He now lives in his own apartment (after living with his mom for quite a bit). We have no joint accounts, no joint property (I owned a house prior to our marriage in March of 2007), no children (I have a child from a previous relationship). He's got all of his belongings, we have very little contact with each other.

I've been reading about the the papers required to be filed for a dissolution in my county (Hamilton). They provide samples of most of them or blank ones that can be typed up and filled in.

Does this really work this easily? Does anyone have any stories of this being successful? I pulled the documents that it says we would need for a dissolution with no children or support. This included needing:

a Decree
a Separation Agreement
a Questionnaire
a Petition
a Waiver of Service of Summons
a Waiver of Financial Disclosure Affidavit

I can read and understand most of what these say with little problems. I can't tell if all of them need to be notarized (I would assume the Decree would not as it needs to be filled in at the hearing by the court??). I can't tell if we need to have our own Waiver of Service document. Our own Waiver of Financial Disclosure Affidavit or if we can use the same ones?

Does anyone have any experience with this? The filing fee, while not extraordinarily high, is still going to take a pretty big chunk of what I've got left over after paying the couple of thousand bucks for taxes. It's going to take some time to rebuild my savings and I've got a child to provide for, but I need to get this taken care of so I'm not in the same boat in 2010.

Thank you in advance for any advice or pointers.

LetsGetThisOver

Is he going to participate in the hearing and paperwork?
Yes, he said he'd come to the hearing and help me fill out whatever paperwork was necessary as well as meet with me and a notary before I went and filed it. It didn't say whether we both had to be present when the papers were actually filed (I know we both have to be present for the hearing)

LdiJ

Yes, he said he'd come to the hearing and help me fill out whatever paperwork was necessary as well as meet with me and a notary before I went and filed it. It didn't say whether we both had to be present when the papers were actually filed (I know we both have to be present for the hearing)
He doesn't need to be present for filing it.

LetsGetThisOver

I was wondering if anyone had any insight to my original post? If he is willing to sign everything and show up to court - Are those really the documents we need? Has anyone had any success with doing it yourself?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">