• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DIY divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wraith0078

What is the name of your state? California

Okay, my wife and I have agreed that we're going to get divorced. We're still on relatively decent terms with each other and have come to an agreement on who gets what and who pays what bills.

Neither one of feels that we will need a lawyer, as we've agreed on everything between the two of us. We've been separated since January.

We were married for four years in May, but have too much debt between the two of us to qualify for a Summary Dissolution.

My questions are:

1. What is involved in filing the papers for divorce and doing everything yourself?

2. What will it cost?

3. How long will it take?

H

hexeliebe

Perhaps it's because no one can answer your questions without walking you through the court system in your county.

The questions you asked have a number of different answers depending on your situation, whether or not your soon-to-be ex will contest, children or not, alimony or support payments, visitation schedules, statements of assets, the number of forms, motions and other papers you are required to file and the workload of the court ...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wraith0078 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Okay, my wife and I have agreed that we're going to get divorced. We're still on relatively decent terms with each other and have come to an agreement on who gets what and who pays what bills.

Neither one of feels that we will need a lawyer, as we've agreed on everything between the two of us. We've been separated since January.

We were married for four years in May, but have too much debt between the two of us to qualify for a Summary Dissolution.

My questions are:

1. What is involved in filing the papers for divorce and doing everything yourself?

MY RESPONSE: Hardly anything involved. Buy a How-To book at Barnes & Noble.

2. What will it cost?

MY RESPONSE: If everything goes as smoothly as you purport it to be, then only the filing fee with the court.

3. How long will it take?

MY RESPONSE: Minimum 6 months, up to 8 months - - again, if everything goes smoothly.

IAAL

W

wraith0078

Thank you.

The questions you asked have a number of different answers depending on your situation, whether or not your soon-to-be ex will contest, children or not, alimony or support payments, visitation schedules, statements of assets, the number of forms, motions and other papers you are required to file and the workload of the court ...
She's told me that she doesn't plan to contest anything or try to pull a fast one on me. Granted, that can only be taken at face value. Her and I are a case of two people that should have stayed friends and never gotten married.

There are no children, so that rules out child support.

She doesn't intend to actively seek alimony, but I'm not entirely sure how the awarding of alimony works, if it's up to her or the judge.

I'm taking on the main portion of the debt, because it is mine anyway. Two school loans amounting to approximately $30k. She's left with a couple of credit cards that were in her name and the remainder of her car loan, amounting to approximately $12k. We've agreed that it's only fair that I pay my school loans and she pay her cards and automobile loan. All of the other property we had was divided up in January when we separated.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Then it should be relatively painless and easy. But, don't take anything for granted until it's signed by a judge.

W

wraith0078

We were married in Iowa and moved to California shortly thereafter. Is there anything I'm going to need from the state of Iowa to get this taken care of?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">