• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NieveNyfemale

What is the name of your state? NY...... Hi im a married mom of 3children of which 2 are from this marriage.Ive been with Husband for 13 yrs and married for almost 8 yrs.Ive recently found out some information in which i was never informed of -the home in which we built is not "our" home..... Its been put in my inlaws name. I live everyday on pins and needles and am told on a regular basis that if i dont like things then LEAVE!Ive been unhappy for about 2 yrs now and my kids are now feeling the effect of this unfortunate situation. Im finding myself slowly deteareating and i dont know what my rights if i choose to move forward in a seperation. My husband has controlled most of the finances and even tho i work fulltime,i know that living in NY i can not raise a family on just my income..... Is there any help available or is there anything i am entitled to?PLEASE HELP!!!! :confused:

djohnson

Legally if the home belongs to your inlaws, you can't do anything about it. Why are you just questioning this? Didn't you sign anything when it was built? Has it been in their names all along or changed recently? You can still get child support and possibly alimony. If you work full time, find a way. You are obviously better off than many that doesn't work. It may not be to the same lifestyle you have now, but you can still live.

BelizeBreeze

NieveNyfemale said:
What is the name of your state? NY...... Hi im a married mom of 3children of which 2 are from this marriage.Ive been with Husband for 13 yrs and married for almost 8 yrs.Ive recently found out some information in which i was never informed of -the home in which we built is not "our" home..... Its been put in my inlaws name. I live everyday on pins and needles and am told on a regular basis that if i dont like things then LEAVE!Ive been unhappy for about 2 yrs now and my kids are now feeling the effect of this unfortunate situation. Im finding myself slowly deteareating and i dont know what my rights if i choose to move forward in a seperation. My husband has controlled most of the finances and even tho i work fulltime,i know that living in NY i can not raise a family on just my income..... Is there any help available or is there anything i am entitled to?PLEASE HELP!!!! :confused:
You said in the above that "WE" built the home. Does that mean that you and your husband got the financing in your name, attended the closing where you both signed the deed transfer and the closing documents, or does it mean that Mother and father-in-law gave you the money to build it and had the deed put in their name for security?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">