• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a chance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chuckt88

Long distance custody

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I have a divorce decree that allows me visitation with my children , Its very liberable I guess It doesn't spell out when and how long just that I give reasonable notice. anyway what I am getting at is that my wife moved to Seattle, WA which putes quit a large financial obligation on me to see them. On top of this she dictates to me how long I will get them on holidays and in the summer. Can I go back to court and get this adjusted ie dates and times of visitation and cost of traval? any input will be appriciated.

Last edited:

kat1963

Chuck, you should have filed before she left for custody modification (and/or in the same motion for change in visitation)....oh well. How long has she been gone? It will depend where the case is heard....sounds like a while. Anyway, yes, you can file to modify visitation. Make sure you ask that she pays all the transportation costs since she is the one that moved. Also make sure you lock down the days & times of ALL visitation. Including but not limited to phone calls (days & time) to your children & when you are in town you can see them IN ADDITION to your regular visitation. Probably best to seek out a lawyer in WA to protect your interests.
Good Luck.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">