• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to file AGAIN?!?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DebiH001

What is the name of your state?I am in California and was married to a man from england in 1994. He was deported in 1995 and I have not seen or spoken to him since then. Before he left, I did begin divorce proceedings. He was served, and then things kind of fell behind and I never did anything else. I do not know if he is even still alive, where he is, or even if I can find him. How do I divorce him? I know if he's not dead I have to do it by publication, but since it's been 10 years do I need to refile all the paperwork? I do still have my case number. Can I just ask for a summary judgement as of, say, January 2000? That would have been over 5 yrs since our last contact.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

S

seniorjudge

DebiH001 said:
What is the name of your state?I am in California and was married to a man from england in 1994. He was deported in 1995 and I have not seen or spoken to him since then. Before he left, I did begin divorce proceedings. He was served, and then things kind of fell behind and I never did anything else. I do not know if he is even still alive, where he is, or even if I can find him. How do I divorce him? I know if he's not dead I have to do it by publication, but since it's been 10 years do I need to refile all the paperwork? I do still have my case number. Can I just ask for a summary judgement as of, say, January 2000? That would have been over 5 yrs since our last contact.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.
First of all, go to the courthouse and see if your case is even open.

If it is not, then it has been dismissed and you must start all over again.

If it is still active, then your lawyer should be able to advise you on what to do next. No judge with any brains is going to let you represent yourself in a case that has stagnated for 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">