• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have legal right to ex's social sec after he dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbeesox

Missouri....My ex and I divorced over 5 years ago and neither of us has remarried. If he dies, do I have access to his social security or job pension?

LdiJ

Missouri....My ex and I divorced over 5 years ago and neither of us has remarried. If he dies, do I have access to his social security or job pension?
You can claim social security benefits when you retire, against either his credits or your own, whichever gives you the best result, as long as you were married at least 10 years.
He does not have to be deceased for you to claim the benefits, nor does it diminish his benefits.

If you have minor children, they would be entitled to social security survivor's benefits should he pass away.

Other than that, you have no claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">