• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have to move out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dianeandy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My husband & I sold our house late last month & the closing is March 1st. He had me served with divorce papers on the 15th of this month for no reason. (He is bipolar and in a manic state, so he's not acting right.) His mania was brought on by him just getting home from a trip to Hong Kong, our selling our house & moving to another state. Anyhow, my question is, do I have to move out before the closing date, since I was just served on the 15th (not a 30 day notice), and does he have to pay for my moving expenses, including the deposit & one month's rent on my son & my apartment that we have to move in to? This house is in just his name, as is the home we bought in SC. Can I claim abandonment, since he moved out his things today, and I'm still living here? Is there anything else I can claim because of this situation? I'm just looking for protection in this situation, so I'm not stuck with footing the bill. Plus, what steps can I take when he gets through this mania, and decides he wants to reconcile? Are there legal actions I can have in place to be in charge of the finances, as well as get him the medication adjustments he needs when he goes manic? Right now, his psychaitrist just told him to take an extra lithium for the next 3 days, but I see total disaster coming when he crashes from this manic state & goes into a depression while he's alone in SC.

So many ??'s, so little time! Thank you for all your help -- I'm sure I'll have more ??'s as the evening goes on. :eek:

Thank you, and have a great evening

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">