• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a right to ask for the house in my divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beverly_63650

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My husband and I have only been married for almost two years , after living together for about four years. After we married , he added my name and his oldest sons name to the house title. Do I have a right to the house in the divorce, or at least the right to ask that he sell the house and divide the money between the three of us?

Just Blue

My husband and I have only been married for almost two years , after living together for about four years. After we married , he added my name and his oldest sons name to the house title. Do I have a right to the house in the divorce, or at least the right to ask that he sell the house and divide the money between the three of us?
Why would you think this??

Per your post you have had 1/3 rights to this home for LESS than 2 years...How much did the house appreceiate... from the time you first had rights to the time you/he file for divorce??

Clue: whatever it was...You get a third. :rolleyes:

ecmst12

If he lived in the house before you were married, the chances of you being awarded the right to live in it after divorce are nil (unless he agrees).

Same with selling it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She can't get the house in the divorce for the simple reason that the oldest son is NOT a party to the divorce. She is entitled to, and could possibly get, 1/2 of the equity of the marital partners in the home quite frankly (and that would be approximately 1/3 of the overall equity) -- And that is based on the house being titled with the three of them as JTWRS. If they are tenants in common/entirety that answer could change depending on what the deed states. She won't get the house however in the divorce. It would take winning a partition suit for her to get the house. So what does the deed state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why would you think this??

Per your post you have had 1/3 rights to this home for LESS than 2 years...How much did the house appreceiate... from the time you first had rights to the time you/he file for divorce??

Clue: whatever it was...You get a third. :rolleyes:
Wrong. She is on the deed. She is entitled to a portion of the overall equity -- NOT the marital equity.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If he lived in the house before you were married, the chances of you being awarded the right to live in it after divorce are nil (unless he agrees).

Same with selling it.
Oh there is someone else who would have to agree:
After we married , he added my name and his oldest sons name to the house title.
And the eldest son is NOT a party to the divorce.

nextwife

Are you able and willing to buy out both co-owners at fair market value and refinance them off the mortgage at the end of the divorce?
If so, make them an offer and perhaps they will agree to your buyout.

beverly_63650

Thanks for the advice

Thanks to all who replied to my questions. I didn't mean to imply that I was a money hungry person or anything. I struggle with severe back and neck problems so it's been hard to find work since I left my husband. I just thought if the house and land could be sold it would really be helpful to me right now. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">